University Park — Penn State (10-4, 1-2) earned its first conference win of the season Friday with a 90-70 win over Rutgers (6-9, 0-3) at the Bryce Jordan Center. Makena Marisa Leading all scorers with 32 points (her career-high just 2 shy), she reached the 1,500-point mark of her career.
— Pennsylvania State Women’s Basketball (@PennStateWBB) December 30, 2022
The Lady Lions started hot and went on a 16-2 run after exchanging opening baskets. Penn State recorded his 6 trays in the first quarter, including his 3 trays where Marisa scored his 15 points. Blue and white showed solid defense, forcing 13 turnovers, including 6 steals, and those swipes he cashed to 20 points as he led 33-13.
Penn State maintained its lead in the second quarter, never dropping below 16 points. The Lady Lions closed out the first half with his 9-1 run that saw him lead 53-29.
Penn State didn’t drop its lead below 16 points in the third quarter, despite Rutgers’ three straight runs of five unanswered points.
Penn State pulled off a 10-for-12 effort at the line to clinch the win and maintained a double-digit advantage through the fourth.
- It took 27 points to reach 1,500 career points heading into the game, but Marisa hit the target before the end of the third quarter.
- Marisa Shibari Assistant Coach Maggie Lucas 3rd-most 30-point games in program history (7) and 2nd of the season (34 in Minnesota).
- She recorded 69 career double-digit games, including 30 games with 20 or more points.
- Leilani Kapinus, who ranked Recorded the 10th steal in the nation, leading the Big Ten entering the contest and recording six steals to reach 100 in her career.
- Kapinus completed his 26th career game with 14 points, 6 steals, 5 assists and 4 boards in double figures.
- Tanya Thompson She was the third Lady Lion to finish in double figures (11 points).
- Shay Cheski He had a career-high five rebounds, five assists and three steals. Both are just one time away from her career bests.
- Penn State posted a season-low 10 turnovers.
- The blue and white forced over 30 turnovers in the third game of the season (34 for Fresno State and 33 for Bryant), taking 38-9 points from turnover advantage.
- The Lady Lions’ 90 points were the third-most points scored this season, behind Minnesota and Drexel’s 96-point efforts.
- The 33 points in the first quarter is the second game of the season that Penn State has scored 30 or more in the duration of the season (37 points against Syracuse).
- The Lady Lions had a point advantage in paint (40-26), second chances (14-9), bench (24-11) and fast break (23-10).
Penn State will take on No. 14/19 Michigan on the road Tuesday at 1 p.m.